Friday, February 15, 2008

Re: Covering

Last Saturday, I felt like a single man for a while. I didn't like it. Audrie was at an event, and the baby was at my mom's house so I could do my shot without having to corral a 1-year-old at the same time. All alone in the house as I set out my elixir and accoutrements, I had a flash of what it would be like to have no help or companionship on this particular journey. Then, happily, the illusion was spoiled by Audrie calling to tell me she had arrived safely. This set off a minor comedy of errors in which, after washing my hands again post phone call, the phone began instructing me in how to make a call just as I was done with the alcohol prep. Then, deciding that I was too much of an imbecile to make use of its instructions, it settled for just beeping at me insistently to let me know it was off the hook. I vacillated a while, then had resolved to ignore it and proceeded, not wanting to go hang it up, wash my hands yet again, and find another alcohol prep, when it finally gave up the effort altogether and fell silent. All in all a good shot.


Monday, I had a minor surgery called Septoplasty with Turbinate Reduction; the latter, alas, having nothing to do with dual overhead cam turbo-injected POWER. The goal of the surgery is to repair the damage to my nose from a car accident 20 years ago, thereby improving my sleep efficiency and reducing my snoring. Sleeping better is good for everyone, not just us MSers, and less snoring will benefit the entire household as well, I assure you. It'll take a couple of weeks for me to have recovered enough to check on the results. In the meanwhile, I am unable to help much with the baby—even to lift him, for now—and so it is Audrie who now feels like a single parent. We've got some help from family, but it's still a rough gig. I know there are plenty of you out there who are single-parenting with active MS symptoms, and I just have to say, hats off to you.

With the week off from work, my only real job the last few days has been to get better as quickly as I could. This is progressing well, and look! There's even time for a blog post. Huzzah.

1 comment:

mdmhvonpa said...

Snore Reduction Rhinoplasty!


WOOT!