Saturday, April 19, 2008

Weeks?


I've never really had the experience of time flying by in the way that some of my friends have. As I get older, and my life fuller, time seems to move slower some days, if anything, not faster. So I cannot blame an accelerated time sense for long lags between posts. I guess I'll just have to stick with the "I'm busy" excuse.


When I was in high school, every Monday the principal would get on the PA and say, "It's Monday – the greatest day of the week!" Of course I thought he was a dufus; I was in high school and thought pretty much everyone was a dufus. Since moving my shots to Saturday, though, it's become true for me that Monday is an especially good day. It's the day farthest from the day I feel the worst, and the first day after my Avonex hangover that I feel fully good again. Viva Monday!

Last week, for the first time since I started Avonex, I did a shot in the position near my knee without it hurting. What's my secret? A little thing I like to call, "finally bothering to pay attention." I was feeling around on my leg before my shot last week and realized that, close to my knee, there's a band of muscle about an inch wide that's tenser than the rest of the top of my thigh when I'm sitting down. This tense band is where I had been injecting, so no wonder it hurt. I moved a half inch to the side and had a nearly painless shot. This week was my left leg near the knee, and it worked again. I'm excited that now I won't have to dread 2 weeks out of every 6 as being more painful than the rest. 

Leif is 15 months old and starting to talk more and more. He now says "shot" and "band-aid" when he sees me getting ready for my shot. I have mixed feelings about this.

2 comments:

mdmhvonpa said...

Funny thing about getting older ... you start to learn just how much you do NOT know.

awb said...

I don't know if it helps, well I do know, and it doesn't help, but I too was diagnosed while my wife was pregnant with our first child. That first child is a junior in college and I am still a thorn in the side of anyone I can think of! Hang in there,

awb